Mon, Sep 26|
Humboldt Open Paint Out - 2022
The Redwood Art Association invites one and all to the fourth annual Humboldt Open Paint Out. Artists are invited to paint some of the most dramatic scenery in all of North America.
Time & Location
Sep 26, 2022, 12:01 AM PDT – Oct 14, 2022, 12:01 AM PDT
Eureka, 603 F St, Eureka, CA 95501, USA
About your registration
The Redwood Art Association invites one and all to the fourth annual Humboldt Open Paint Out. Artists are invited to paint some of the most dramatic scenery in all of North America. Back by popular demand the event runs from September 26th through October 1st 2022, the show will remain up for two weeks after the contest. Humboldt County offers many vistas including the dramatic coastal cliffs off Scenic Drive in Trinidad or descend trails to capture the crashing waves off of the isolated beaches.
Popular locations to set up an easel would include Patrick’s Point, the Eel River Valley, the Arcata Marsh, Moonstone Beach, Ferndale, the meandering backroads of Humboldt County, or the magnificent redwood forest. Awards will be presented on October 1st.
Judge: Paul Kratter an award-winning, nationally known plein air artist.
Rules of the competition:
- Each artist will draw for a space at the Redwood Art Association’s Gallery at 603 F Street, Eureka. Artists will hang and frame their own work. Basic tools for hanging will be supplied at the gallery. Some spaces will vary slightly, and location will be based on the luck of the draw.
- Artists may paint plein air anywhere in Humboldt County, everything must be painted outdoors during the time frame of the competition. All mediums are welcome.
- Check in will start 8 am on September 26th. Participants must get their canvas and paper stamped at the gallery before they paint on their substrate. Only stamped canvases and paper will be allowed in the show. All work must be framed with artist name, title, medium, and price. Artists will be provided with title cards to fill out for all works shown. RAA takes a 30% commission on artwork sold.
- An Entry fee of $95 for Redwood Art Association members and $145 for nonmembers will be accepted on first come first serve basis until spaces are filled. Cancelations will be accepted up until September 15th. As part of an entry folder for each artist they will receive a rules list, map of Humboldt, and name placard with home location to be placed above RAA gallery assigned drawing hang site.
- The artwork will remain up at the gallery for two weeks after the contest. Take down will be on October 15th. Out of town artists may take their art down after the contest. Artists may have additional canvas and paper stamped any time the gallery is open.
- All art for judging must be hung no later than 2pm on October 1st.
- All art must be removed on Saturday October 15th by noon.
- Dates: September 26-October 1, 2022 Show remains on gallery walls until October 14th
*Check in: Monday, September 26th & Tuesday September 27 - 8:00am-10am, Redwood Art Association, 603 F Street, Eureka, phone: 707-268-0755
- Artists may consider the services of one of the following art shops: The Art Center Frame Shop, 616 Second Street, Eureka, 707-443-7017. Eureka Art and Frame, 1636 F Street, Eureka, 707-444-2888.
- Artist supplies: Ellis Art and Engineering, 401 5th Street, Eureka, 707-445-9050; Arcata Art Center, 823 H Street, Arcata, 707-822-4800.
Check - inRedwood Art Association
Check - inRedwood Art Association
Current RAA Members - HOPO